Rootes Archive Centre - Accessions.
Accessions Register for the Archive Centre.
This page contains information about material loaned or
donated to the Centre.
Please note this list is incomplete. Contact me if you know
of out-standing additions.
- Clare and Phil Hallett, 11/12/2017 (donation) - Papers and photographs from
G.E. "Eddie" Grimshaw, International Wholesale Service Manager
1947-69 working in 28 countries over 25 years.
- Dave Botterill, 8/8/2017 (donation) - Talbot 10 Day Auction Sale
catalogue. Linwood 6/11/1981.
- Jacqui Yates, Aug'2017 (donation) -
follow this link to The Steve Yates Library
- Steve Yates, 2017 (RJA purchase) - Illuminated sign "Rootes, Genuine Parts and Special
- Steve Yates, 2017 (RJA purchase) - "Inspiring Confidence in the
Hillman Imp" - 1966 dealer pack with 2x LP records and a 35mm film
- Bob Buckby, Oct'2016 - letter from Hillman Motor Car Co. in 1936
re. purchase for a new Minx.
- Trisha Russell, Sep'2016 - 183 photographs of the Speke factory
during WW2 (donation).
- John Walsh, Aug'2016 -
Chamois Workshop Manual Part No.6601284 (donation)
- Matt Ollman, Aug'2016 - 3 perspex dealer signs for Humber Hillman and
- Richard Williams, Aug'2016 - large Chrysler era Humber dealer
- Peter Badenoch, Jan'2015 - listings from former Rootes employee
E.M.Lea-Major with chassis nos. from c.1932.
- Lord Rootes, 1/4/2007 - photograph albums plus other photographs
from Hawkhurst and Maidstone (loan)
- Lord Rootes, 1/4/2007 - folders of photographs of factories,
motor shows, the Humber Golden Jubilee (1950), etc. (loan)
- Lord Rootes, 1/4/2007 - Carpe Diem - memoirs of Geoffrey
- Lord Rootes, 1/4/2007 - programme and seating plan for official
opening of Linwood plus LP recording of speeches (loan)
- Lord Rootes, 1/4/2007 - board room photographs
- Peugeot-Talbot - many items donated, including the valuable
boardroom table and chairs, and of course the drawings and micro-fiche.
- Paul Burch, July 2005 - Parts and accessories lists; Chrysler
comptroller's manual; Account book "payments by cheque"; Rootes
Properties Ltd. ledger; Hillman ledger Aug'1939-; Humber
Ltd. ledgers nos.4,5,6 1922-26, 1926-38, 1938-46; Sunbeam Motors Ltd. ledger
1918-32; Rootes Properties Ltd. cash book 1935-75; Day Book
May'1967-Dec;1976; Darraq Motor Eng. Co. Ltd. ledger 1934-35
incl. Clement-Talbot Ltd. and Rootes Securities Ltd.; Rootes
Securities Ltd. ledger 1943-52; Cash books c.1966; Sunbeam-Talbot
Ltd. ledger 1947-65; Private Journal Sunbeam Motors 1935-64, 1967;
Sunbeam Motors ledger 1936-50; Rootes Ltd. Len Engineering Works
1917-19; assorted photos
- Jim Adams, 10/8/2005 - Sunbeam Talbot 80-90 manuals
- Bob Allan - assorted brochures and books
- Chilton Preservation Trust - Commer and Karrier related material
- Sam Cottingham, Oct'2006 - A Brief History of Karrier Motors
Ltd. outlining their progress and activities in the commercial motor
vehicle industry (photocopy); The History of Commer c.1962-3
(photocopy); The History of Commer c.1971 (photocopy); Rootes Motors
Ltd. annual report 1968; Rootes Diesel Engines; various press photos
and cuttings, etc.
- John Dandy - photographs from Rootes Competitions Department
- Gail O'Dell - competition related memoirs
- John Feaver, 30/12/2005 - book case, ex. Plater College, Oxford
- Peter Firmstone - information on Rootes diesel engines and
- David Freeth, Oct'2006 - various handbooks and manuals (purchased)
- Lewis Garrad - many items donated
- Garry Humphris, 26/7/2005 - various Humber, Hillman and Commer
parts lists, etc.
- Stephen Lewis - microfiche scanner and A3 scanner
- R.H. Loveys - documents, Interim Sales and Product Planning,
- Colin Malkin collection - London-Sydney photographs and press
cuttings; Avenger, Sunbeam, Peugeot photos; Sunbeam and Peugeot
event testing photos; Malkin and Robson photos; Minis and Imps
1963-8 photos and press cuttings; London-Sydney press cuttings and
letters; 1970s Avenger press cuttings; colour slides of Avenger
Chrysler Team; various magazine articles; Imp ALN650H and rally
Avenger photos etc. to 1976; 1981 San Remo Rally poster; 1981
Sunbeam Lotus WRC poster; Chrysler Team Avenger 2-door artwork; 1987
RAC rally schedule; Granite City rally programme.
- Ian Morton, 4/12/2005 - various manuals and a lot of help with
- Jim Piggins, Oct'2006 - handbooks donated
- Alan Ramsay - material originally from Linwood
- James Spencer and Matt Ollman - storage containers
- Tim Sutton - many items donated and a lot of help from the start.
- Brian Swann, 7/11/2007 - photo album of Rootes Securities Aircraft
Division Factory no.2, Ryton-on-Dunsore (loan)
- Buck Trippel, 2012 - wide format drawing scanner from USA
- Buck Trippel, 2015 - micro-fiche scanner from USA, you can see a
video of it working
here on our FaceBook site
- Graham Waite, 27/2/2007 - Humber prototype wooden model (Barlby
Road, c.1948) (purchased)
- David Ward - rally tropies now housed in the Centre's display cabinet
- Steve Williams - cut away Imp engine and other items. Also thanks
for a lot of help over several years.
- Mark Wilmott - scale model of Linwood Factory
- Chris Woodwark
- David Waring - Singer banner and early (1930s) documents
- Buck Trippel, 2015 - high speed microfiche card scanner from USA