STFC Condor Pool (External Pages)
What is the STFC Condor Pool?
The STFC Condor Pool is a heterogeneous collection of computing resources at both Daresbury and Rutherford Appleton Laboratories. Although there are a few dedicated machines in the pool, most of them are personal workstations running variants of Linux and Windows.
What is Condor?
Condor is a distributed High Throughput Computing (HTC) resource management system developed by the University of Wisconsin-Madison. It is used to utilise otherwise unused CPU cycles to execute submitted jobs in the background at a low-priority so that they do not interfere with a resource's normal workload. Submitted jobs are matched to appropriate machines capable of performing the calculation.
How heterogeneous is the pool?
The STFC pool consists of a wide variety of Linux and Windows machines. There are a total of -1 machines in the pool, of which 0 are setup for submission only. The remaining -1 execute machines run 0 different operating system variants on their -1 processors. This makes the pool especially useful for testing the portability of multi-platform build scripts.
Further information on the pool is available on within STFC's internal web pages.
- "CONDOR as a resource for accelerator research ", 23rd Particle Accelerator Conference (PAC09), Vancouver
- "Condor and the NGS", NGS Innovation Forum '08, Manchester
- "Condor Gotchas III", Euro Condor Week 2008, Barcelona
- "Condor Gotchas II (this time it's cynical!)", Paradyn/Condor Week 2007, Madison WI
- "Heterogeneous Pools", 2nd European Condor Week 2006, Milan
- "Condor Gotchas", 2nd European Condor Week 2006
- "Defining a Campus Grid" A summary of the 2005 CampusGrid Meeting's working dinner on what is the difference between a Compute Pool and a Campus Grid.
- "Caging the CCLRC Compute Zoo (Activities at CCLRC)", Paradyn/Condor Week 2005, Madison WI
- "Condor: Firewall Mirroring", UK Condor Week 2004
- "Condor: The CCLRC Experience", UK Condor Week 2004
- "Introduction to Condor"
Current methods for negotiating firewalls for the Condor system: a paper for UK e-Science All Hands Meeting 2005 (AHM 2005). [SLIDES]
The Use of Condor at CCLRC Daresbury Laboratory: an experience paper describing how Condor was setup at CCLRC.
Using Condor effectively in the presence of Personal Firewalls: a proposal on how to handle firewalls in a Condor Pool
Report on Condor Installation: describes the early investigations into Condor installation at Daresbury Laboratory.
Proposal for use of Condor at DL: definition of how we have setup Condor at CCLRC
User Introduction to the CCLRC Condor Pool: how to use Condor in the CCLRC
The following projects have been / are using / are expecting to use the STFC Condor Pool.
- Build and Test test-bed for the ETF.
- STFC Build and Test Service (speculative)