John William Reed was a harmonium and reed organ manufacturer of Handel Works, Hanover Street, Islington, London. He lived at 17 Colebrook Row, Islington in 1895.
He seems to have been a manufacturer of high quality and innovative instruments. This advert was published in the ``United Methodist Free Churches Magazine'' in 1884.
I am grateful to Brian Stevenson of Kentucky for publishing the full story of Reed's life and work . He also has a link to my older Web site. Some of the following text is therefore taken from his Web article.
J.W. Reed was born in Manchester during the late summer of 1843. His father, William, was a Wesley Methodist minister. The Reeds evidently moved frequently, presumably due to William's ministry. John's sister Ellen, 3 years younger, was born in Helstone, Cornwall. The 1851 census shows that the Reeds were then living in Barnsley. In 1861, they lived in Islington, Middlesex, near London, very close to a large number of pianoforte and reed organ makers.
John was employed in the insurance industry early on. At the time of his marriage in 1867 at the age of 23 Reed was a superintendant of agents. His wife, Mary, was the daughter of Marmaduke Miller, a hat manufacturer and Methodist minister. The Miller Memorial Church, in Tottenham, is named after Rev. Miller. John and Mary's first son, John Marmaduke Miller Reed, was born in 1868, and the Reeds lived with the Millers until at least 1871 according to census records.
By 1877, they lived in a separate home at 27 Clarence Street, Islington. That year, John Reed joined both the Quekett Microscopical Club and the Royal Geographic Society. The Reeds also had their second son, Alfred Arthur John William Reed. Alfred's christening record indicates that John Reed had made a career change between the time of the 1871 census and 1877: he is now a ``pianoforte maker''. The construction of pianofortes, harmoniums and reed organs and repairs of damaged instruments, was to be Reed's occupation until the end of his life.
J.W. Reed was elected to the Council of the Quekett Microscopical Club in 1879 and served through 1881. He was elected as Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society in March 1881. Reed was evidently an ardent microscopist interested in natural history and very often exhibited slides at Quekett meetings.
Between the time of the 1881 census and Reed renewing his Quekett membership for 1882, the family moved to 17 Colebrook Row, Islington. The musical instrument factory was then located on Hanover Street.
Between 1889 and 1891, the Reed family moved again from Islington across the Thames to Dorking, Surrey. The 1891 census recorded John, Mary and 14 year old son Alfred as ``boarders'' in the home of Stephen Wilkins, a boot maker and Baptist minister. John Reed was listed as being a ``pianoforte manufacturer'' and an employer of workers. The reason for this move from a private home with ``live in servant'' in 1881, to a boarding situation in 1891, is not known, but suggests possible financial setbacks for the business.
Labels on his later instruments say ``J.W. Reed and Sons, London''.
John William Reed died between late October and early Nov'1899 at the age of 56. The report of the 17/11/1899 Ordinary Meeting of the Quekett Microscopical Club states The Secretary said that most of the members were probably aware that since their last meeting they had lost in a very sad way one of their most useful members, Mr. J.W. Reed. The Club had been indebted to him in many ways: he had rendered them considerable service at their soirees by securing a most excellent band free of all cost; and he had also read papers, amongst which those on Pyrenean plants and on the fungus diseases of plants would be particularly remembered. They would all miss him very much, and his loss as a member of their Committee would also be much felt. The President said that at the meeting of the Committee that evening a vote of condolence and sympathy with the family of Mr. Reed had been passed, and he was sure that this would meet with the concurrence of the Club as a whole.
He was clearly a very talented Victorian.
A small harmonium appeared for sale on e-Bay in 2004 in Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey listed as Harmonium 1800's. We estimate it was made around the late 1800's to the turn of the century and it has the name on a lovely gold plaque, which states:
JOHN. W. REED MANUFACTURER, HANOVER STREET, LONDON
it also says:
NAPOLEON III & EMPIRE FRANCAIS.
Another smaller label states:
ORGAN BROAD REED HARMONIUM.
The size is around 41'' wide is 14'' deep and stands about 32'' high, it has 61 keys and said to be made of yew or similar to this wood.
Another small Reed harmonium shown in the above pictures was advertised several times. Whilst the label states that Reed was a manufacturer, it is quite likely that some of these instruments are French and assembled in England.
Thomas Reilich Orgel- und Harmoniumwerkstatt
The Web site of Thomas Reilich http://o-h-r.com shows details of a restoration of a small 3 stop Reed harmonium from around 1870. This instrument is in Germany. The stops are Sourdine, Expression, Tremolo
2M ReedOrgans Web site 2017
This 2M instrument with the John Reed label appeared for sampe on Chris Hampson's Web site during 2017. It was advertised by the owner in North Wales.
The stop list is not definitive as many of the labels have fallen off, it is thought to be: Forte, Sourdine, Dulciana, Bassoon, Clarion, Bourdon, Cor Anglais, Manual Coupler, Full Organ, Expression, Flute, Clarinette, Fifre, Oboe, Dulciana, Principal, Violoncelle, Tremolo, Forte
It measures 41'' x37'' x48''h.
Its clearly suffered from being stored in a damp location, but if restored, this could be an amazing instrument similar to the Schiedmayer that I once played regularly.
e-Bay item *1638
This harmonium, advertised in Goole in Aug'2012, carries a rather different label. It had originally been in a Weslyan chapel, but was donated to the Parish church when the chapel closed. It has an interesting style, being similar to the Hillier instruments but with American Organ shape stop knobs.
Reed also made suction reed organs.
Nothing further is known of the following which seems to be a rather unusual suction instrument.
Another instrument by John Reed appeared on e-Bay in Dec'2006. It has a richly finished cabinet and the following stops: Melodia, Diapson, Echo, Vox Humana, Dolce, Dulciana, Flute.
Milton Wainwright's Reed pipe top organ
Milton Wainwright of New Zealand published a description with photographs in the ROS quarterly . This one also has a pipe top. We also don't know the list of stops, but Milton notes that it was sold through the retailer John Smith of Coatbridge.
HVN DB entry 88 Händel Organ
Another pipe top organ is shown on the Harmoniumnet Web site http://www.harmoniumnet.nl/harmoniumkalender-2004.html photo ©Klaas von Boggelen. This is from the database of the Harmonium Vereniging Netherlands, entry number 88.
It is referred to as a Händel model from 1884, and the stops are as follows: Forte, Seraphone, Dulciana, Celeste, Diapason, Dolce, Octave Coupler, Vox Humana, Octave Coupler, Echo, Melodia, Flute, Dulciana, Viola, Clarinette, English Horn.
This instrument served in the Zoar Chapel, Mertyhr Tydfil. Unfortunately it was thrown out during a re-furbishment in late 2009 and found its way onto e-Bay in Feb'2010.
The shaped panels on the front of the instrument and other decoration, including the lattice work sound vents, seem to be typical of Reed.
For sale in Aug'2013 in Huntingdon.
This one appeared for sale in Aug'2014 and has the Boyd of London shop label in addition to the Reed Handel Works label.